This are traditional sweet which is made in Malta on the 19th March, to celebrate St. Joseph’s day.
In Sicily, we have a very similar recipe and it is called Sfinci di San Giuseppe. In Sicily, though, they are decorated with candied-orange peel. They are also prepared for St. Joseph’s Day which is also Father’s Day.
In the rest of Italy, they make Zeppole di San Giuseppe: the cream puff has a more flat shape and it is topped with custard and glazed black cherries.
This sweets are truly amazing, and I am sure you will love them too!
- Preparation time15 Minutes
- Cooking time30 Minutes
- Servingmakes around 10 sfineġ
- Cooking methodFrying
For the Choux Pastry
- 150 gplain flour (type 0)
- 150 mlwater
- 100 gbutter
- 5 gtable salt
For the filling
- 250 gricotta cheese
- 50 gicing sugar
- 50 gdark chocolate chips
- 50 gcandied-peel fruit
For the glaze
- 250 ghoney
- 250 gcrushed pistachios or almonds
For the choux pastry
– put the water, salt and the butter cut into small pieces onto a saucepan with high sides;
– transfer the saucepan onto the stove and bring the mixture to boil, then immediately remove the saucepan from the heat;
– sift the flour onto the pan all at once, then stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to avoid lumps, till you get a smooth mixture;
– put the saucepan back on the stove on a very low heat, stir again for a couple of minutes to let the dough to ry. When you notice a white patina on the bottom of the saucepan, it is a sign that the dough has dried to the right point: you can now remove the saucepan from the stove;
– without waiting for the mixture to cool, incorporate the eggs at room temperature. Add them one at a time, do not proceed with the next egg until the previous one is completely incorporated into the mixture. The dough must be soft and velvety, but not liquid.
– take another saucepan with high sides and pour the oil onto it;
– bring the oil to 170 degrees;
– use two spoons to shape your cream puff them deep fry them till very golden;
– drain well the fried cream puff and allow them to cool down onto a plate folded with kitchen paper;
For the filling
– sift the ricotta onto a bowl;
– add the remaining ingredients for the filling an mix well till you get a smooth cream;
To assemble the sweets
– cut each cream puff into half;
– spread each half with honey, then roll them onto the crushed pistachio;
– put a spoonful of filling on one side, then put the other half on top;