Prickly pears are packed with vitamins, especially vitamin C, and minerals including potassium and magnesium. They also contain many fibers that help intestinal peristalsis.
They are in full season now, and one of the best use I make of them is this absolutely delicious jam!
- Preparation time20 Minutes
- Cooking time1 Hour
- Servingmales 2 kg jam
- Cooking methodStove
- 3 kgprickly pears
- 900 glight muscovado sugar
– carefully peel the prickly pears and sift the pulp with a rotary food mill. Transfer the obtained pulp in a tall sauce pan;
– add the sugar, stir well and start cooking on medium fire;
– as soon as it starts boiling, add the lemons juice and the zest of the same lemons;
– after about 50 minutes the jam should start to thicken, stir often to check the right thickness of the jam;
– take a teaspoon from the pan and put it on a small plate to confirm that the jam is ready;
– remove from the fire and pour the jam in sterilised jars (remove the peel of the lemon first), close the lids and put the jars upside down;
– don’t touch the jars until they will be completely cold;
– to verify if the jars sealed well, press on the lid: it should not click.
CONSUME THE JAM WITHIN 6 MONTHS. ONCE OPEN, STORE IN THE FRIDGE.