In Sicily, this is that time of the year when we prepare and bottle tomatoe sauce for winter, as well as sun-dried tomatoes and tomato paste.
Kilos of kilos of the best fresh tomatoes which are hand processed and bottled with the collaboration of all family members.
A family tradition and work which repeats each summer.
This recipe is for simple tomato sauce preserve. Just fresh, local natural tomato 🍅. Nothing else.
Once ready, these bottles can be used during winter for your recipes: from a simple pasta sauce (by cooking it with some salt and oil), to meat or lentils stews, and much more.
- Cooking methodStove
- tomatoes (Pixel variety)
– clean the tomatoes by removing the stalk and wash them very well;
– fill a pot of water and when the water boils add the tomatoes. Let the tomatoes simmer for about 10 minutes until the skin begins to crack and the tomatoes become softer;
– drain the tomatoes;
– take the vegetable-mill and place it on a large bowl;
– pour a little of the boiled tomatoes into the blender and begin to pass;
– gradually add more tomatoes;
– for maximum yield, you have to pass the tomatoes very well and leave only the dry skins;
– tut the funnel in bottles or jars and pour the tomato puree into the appropriate containers. As for the jars, make the puree reach the first round of the neck, for the bottles leave about an inch from the end of the neck;
– take a large pot and put a cotton cloth in it. Arrange the bottles or jars in the pot horizontally trying to fit them well together with some other cloth;
– fill the pot with water until the preserves are completely covered and bring the water to a boil;
– from the moment the water begins to boil, calculate 20 minutes;
– allow the bottles to cool completely, then remove them from the pot, dry them and store them in a dry place away from direct light.
– like this, the bottles will last 1 year.