While I visit family in Modica, I make a good stock of high quality ingredients and products for my cooking. The “mandorla pizzuta d’Avola” is perhaps one of the best variety of almonds you can find. Thus, these traditional biscuits are the essence of Sicilian culture, tradition and taste 🙂 I hope you will love them! N.B. If you love pistachio, you can replace the ground almonds with ground pistachio. Naturally, I recommend the “pistacchio di Bronte DOP”.
- Preparation time10 Minutes
- Cooking time10 Minutes
- Servingmakes around 10/12 biscuits
- 50 gmultiflora honey
- 400 gground almonds (mandorla pizzuta d’Avola)
- 250 gicing sugar
- 3egg whites
- 1organic lemon
– put the ground almond and the icing sugar in a bowl, mix them well together;
– add the egg whites and mix well;
– add the honey;
– add the lemon juice and the grated zest of the lemon;
– mix and knead well everything till you get a moist “dough”;
– roll the dough onto some icing sugar and form a long tube, then get shapes of small rectangles;
– cook in preheated oven at 175 degrees for around 10 minutes.
N.B. These biscuits are ready as soon as they start to golden. They should remain soft and moist. If you overcook them, then they will become hard and dry instead.