Fried battered courgette flowers are one of the favorite dishes of Italians. And how can we blame ourselves for loving them so much? They are crispy, light and incredibly tasty: in a word they are so addictive!
You can find different versions of this recipe, and with different kind of fillings too.
I am proposing you my basic version with a batter made of beer and flour. You can substitute the beer with sparkling water, but it is essential that whatever liquid you would use it is very cold. That is the secret to a very crispy end result!
I hope you will enjoy it 🙂
- CostVery cheap
- Servingserves 2 people
- Cooking methodFrying
- 200 mlcold beer (or cold sparkling water)
- 100 gwhite flour type 0
- 10fresh zucchini flowers
- q.s.good quality frying oil
- q.s.table salt (to season the fried flowers)
– gently clean the zucchini flowers, and dry them carefully with paper towel;
– in a separate bowl, whisk the flour and the cold beer together till you get a smooth batter;
– heat the frying oil in a deep skillet over medium heat;
– dip well the flowers into the batter, then fry in the hot oil till golden (about 1 minute per side), work in batches as you deem fit;
– put the fried flowers onto a kitchen paper sheet in order to absorb any eventual residual oil;
– if you like, before eating them you could sprinkle some table salt onto them as you would do with fries